Tiger Woods has said in the past that he is in favor of the proposed anchoring ban on the PGA Tour and the star golfer reiterated his stance in the debate on Wednesday, saying that the rule should go through as planned as he prepared to start the Honda Classic on Thursday.
Like Us on Facebook
According to ESPN.com, Woods spoke about his past thoughts on the issue and felt that the practice shouldn't be allowed.
"My position hasn't changed," Woods said after his pro-am round at the Honda Classic, where he began the first round at 7:25 a.m. on Thursday. "I still think that it should be swung, it shouldn't be anchored, and that hasn't changed at all. But obviously nothing is set in stone, nothing's firm."
The rule was proposed in November by the USGA and R&A and it is currently nearing the end of a three-month comment period about it. The rule would disallow the use of an achored stroke from the Rules of Golf and would go into effect in January of 2016. Thursday marks the final day of the comment period and the decision should be coming in the spring.
"The USGA (United States Golf Association) and R&A (Royal & Ancient) are the governing bodies of our rules, and we'll see what happens. Hopefully we don't have to bifurcate (have separate rules for pros and amateurs) or adapt a local rule like we do sometimes out here on tour (but all are within the Rules of Golf). Hopefully we won't have to do that with the putter," Woods said.
Keegan Bradley was the first golfer to win a major using the stroke and on Sunday PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem came out against the ban and said that the group has sent a letter to the governing bodies about the rule and why it should be dropped.
"I understand that; I get it," Woods said. "The guys that play our tour, all three of them who have won major championships with an anchored putter ... play our tour full time. I understand his position. But I still feel that all 14 clubs should be swung. That hasn't changed at all."
Bradley, Webb Simpson and Ernie Els have won three of the past give golf championships with an anchored stroke and would be the most prominent players to be affected by the ban. Bradley spoke about being frustrated by the debate on Tuesday and mentioned that he is "sick" of being called a cheater by some in the media.
Woods is preparing for his fourth event of the season after starting off by missing the cut in Abu Dhabi, winning the Farmers Insurance Open before losing in the first round at Match Play last week in Arizona.
"Generally, if you're missing a cut, you're probably not playing that well," he said. "But I actually played well, and only played one day. I missed a few putts out there, but other than that, I really played well and unfortunately I ran into a guy who also played well, better than I did. That's just the nature of the business in that format."
Coverage of the event begins on Thursday from 3-6 p.m. ET on Golf Channel and continues for the same times on Friday. TV coverage will pick up on the weekend on Golf Channel from 1-3 p.m. ET and on NBC 3-6 p.m. ET.